The Chemistry Department is consistently named a "superior performing department" in research and teaching at UNT. Department research is supported by:
- National Science Foundation
- U.S. Departments of Energy and Education
- Semiconductor Research Corporation
- Welch Foundation
- American Chemical Society - Petroleum Research Fund
- Many other federal and industrial sources
The research interests of the chemistry faculty span the traditional areas of analytical, inorganic, organic, physical, and chemical education. Increasingly, however, new frontiers fall at the intersections of two or more of these areas. As a result, interdisciplinary studies are encouraged. There are several groups of faculty who collaborate in particular specializations: these areas of focus include computational, materials, forensics, and organometallic chemistry.